Brandon M. Crumady Guilty Plea

Providence Resident Pleads Guilty to Firearm Charge; Admits to Violating Federal Supervised Release


PROVIDENCE – Brandon M. Crumady, 30, of Providence, pleaded guilty in federal court in Providence today to being a felon in possession of a firearm, and he admitted to violating the terms of federal supervised release on a previous conviction on a firearm charge, announced Acting United States Attorney Stephen G. Dambruch and Providence Police Chief Colonel Hugh T. Clements, Jr.


According to information presented to the court, on May 9, 2016, a Providence Police officer patrolling the area around a nightclub preparing to close for the evening came upon an occupied vehicle parked in a nearby parking lot. The officer illuminated the interior of the vehicle with his cruiser alley light. As he did, he saw the front seat passenger reach into his waistband, remove a firearm, and toss it onto the back seat.


According to information presented to the court, the officer recognized Brandon Crumady as being the passenger in the vehicle, and the officer was aware that he had previously been convicted of a firearm offense. The officer approached the vehicle with his service weapon drawn, and kept watch of the firearm and the occupants of the vehicle until additional officers arrived. Crumady was arrested and a loaded semi-automatic firearm was recovered from the back seat.


According to court records, Crumady was previously convicted in Rhode Island state court for carrying a pistol without a license and felony possession of controlled substance offenses.  Most recently, on May 23, 2012, Crumady was convicted in federal court for being a felon in possession of a firearm. On August 17, 2012, Crumady received a sentence of 37 imprisonment followed by 36 months of supervised release. He was on federal supervised release when he was arrested on May 23, 2012.


Brandon Crumady is scheduled to be sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge John J. McConnell, Jr., on September 1, 2017.


The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Gerard B. Sullivan.