Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Title||Assistant Professor – Computer Studies|
|Department||Computer Studies Department|
|Job Summary||The Community College of Rhode Island is the state’s only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs.
We meet the wide-ranging educational needs of our diverse student population, building on our rich tradition of excellence in teaching and our dedication to all students with the ability and motivation to succeed. We set high academic standards necessary for transfer and career success, champion diversity, respond to community needs, and contribute to our state’s economic development and the region’s workforce.
|Duties and Responsibilities||• Teach computer courses with possibility of travel to multi-campuses as assigned.
• Work with students in an electronic classroom to complete assigned material.
• Contribute to the development of curricula to keep pace with emerging trends in industry.
• Use innovative instructional strategies that support student success and recognize diverse learning styles.
• Use technology to enhance instruction and communicate effectively with the campus community.
• Contribute to a dynamic teaching/learning environment requiring adaptability, creativity, and teamwork.
• Participate in college activities including committee work.
• Apply strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, and a collaborative approach to working with students and colleagues.
• Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and mission of a comprehensive community college.
• Engage in high-quality instruction in a diverse, inclusive and student-centered environment, and the ability to work with students with various learning styles, cultures, identities, and life-experiences.
• Be willing to travel and teach at multi-campus locations as required by department needs.
|Minimum Qualifications||• Master’s degree required in Computer Science or a related field, such as Education or MIS.
• Minimum of six (6) semesters of full-time, stand-alone teaching in a computer related field within the last five (5) years at an accredited higher education institution required.
• Demonstrable record of excellence in teaching, curriculum and program development, program and course assessment, and maintaining a learner-centered environment.
• Experience using technology to enhance instruction, manage classroom administrative functions, and communicate effectively with the campus community.
• Familiarity with instructional technology including a Learning Management System such as Blackboard
• Hands on instruction and familiarity with conducting class in a lab or virtual environment.
• Ability and willingness to learn new technologies required.
• Strong communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, and a collaborative approach to working with students and colleagues.
|Reports To||Computer Studies Department Chair|
|Campus Location||Multi-Campus Locations|
|Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information||Tenure-track position|
|Name of Bargaining Unit Union||CCRIFA|
|Salary Range||Commensurate with education and experience|
|Additional Salary Information|
|Civil Service List position||No|
|Licenses, Tools and Equipment||Must have access to and use of own transportation.|
|Environmental Conditions||This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.|
|Desired Start Date||2018 Spring Semester|
|Position End Date (if temporary or grant)|
Posting Detail Information
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Application Open Date||11/29/2017|
|Application Close Date (includes the grace period)||12/19/2017|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||The closing date to apply for this position is 12/19/17. This date includes a five-day grace period. Application materials will not be accepted after 11:59pm EST on 12/19/17.
To apply for this position, complete CCRI’s online application, and attach a cover letter and resume by the closing date. You do not need to complete the ‘Education History’ or ‘Employment History’ sections within the application if you are attaching a resume that includes the same information. Please include name and contact information for three references within the application. Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts.
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Human Resources at 401-825-2311. TTY: 401-825-2313.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master’s degree, or higher, in Computer Science or a related field such as Education or MIS?
- * Do you have a minimum of six (6) semesters of full-time, stand-alone teaching in a computer related field within the last five (5) years at an accredited higher education institution?
- * Do you have experience using technology to: enhance instruction, manage classroom administrative functions, and communicate effectively with the campus community?
- * Do you have experience with hands-on instruction and familiarity with conducting a class in a lab or virtual environment?
- * Are you familiar with instructional technology including a Learning Management System such as Blackboard?
- * Do you have a demonstrable record of excellence in teaching, curriculum and program development, program and course assessment, and maintaining a learner-centered environment?
- * Where did you learn of this job opportunity? (CCRI Web Site, Other Web Site, Advertisement/Publication, Agency Referral, Personal Referral, Other). Please be specific when using web site or publication names.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document