Assistant Professor, English-ESL/Development/Writing:
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Title||Assistant Professor-ESL and Developmental Reading and Writing|
|Job Summary||Teach developmental reading and writing courses and English as a Second Language courses to a diverse community college population.|
|Duties and Responsibilities||• Teach developmental reading and writing courses and English as a Second Language courses to a diverse community college population.
• Prepare and support students transitioning from developmental to college-credit course work and to continued academic success.
• Administer and interpret tests for appropriate course placement and advisement.
• Collect and analyze student outcome data for ongoing evaluation and continuous improvement of developmental courses.
• Active participation in a developmental and/or ESL team for implementation of a sequence of courses, and the ability to develop curriculum materials and related learning outcomes is imperative.
• Engage in high-quality instruction in a diverse, inclusive and student-centered environment, and the ability to work with students with various learning styles, cultures, identities, and life experiences.
• Participate in college activities, including committee work.
• Use technology to enhance instruction and communicate effectively with the campus community.
• Be willing to travel and teach at multi-campus locations as required by department needs.
• Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and mission of a comprehensive community college.
|Minimum Qualifications||• Master’s degree in English, Reading, ESL, adult education, or closely related field.
• Experience teaching developmental reading and writing courses and ESL grammar, writing and speech courses.
• Demonstrated experience with integration of computer technology into instruction.
• Well-articulated understanding of the mission, philosophy, and purpose of developmental education and the importance of an ESL course sequence within a community college setting.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills and commitment to diversity and multiculturalism.
• Experience in planning and executing successful learning strategies to accommodate diverse learning styles.
• Outstanding class management skills including maintaining a positive class climate, timely grade submission and using technology tools to communicate with students and college faculty/staff.
• Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts.
|Preferred Qualifications||• Experience teaching developmental reading and writing courses and ESL grammar, writing and speech courses at a community college is preferred.
• Documented experience in course/curriculum development and assessment of student outcomes preferred.
|Reports To||English Department Chair|
|Campus Location||Multi-Campus Locations|
|Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information||Tenure-track position|
|Name of Bargaining Unit Union||CCRIFA|
|Salary Range||Hiring range: $43,305-50,985|
|Additional Salary Information||Commensurate with education and experience|
|Civil Service List position||No|
|Licenses, Tools and Equipment|
|Desired Start Date||2018 Fall Semester|
|Position End Date (if temporary or grant)|
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Application Open Date||07/25/2018|
|Application Close Date (includes the grace period)|
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
The Community College of Rhode Island is the state’s only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs. We meet the wide-ranging educational needs of our diverse student population, building on our rich tradition of excellence in teaching and our dedication to all students with the ability and motivation to succeed. We set high academic standards necessary for transfer and career success, champion diversity, respond to community needs, and contribute to our state’s economic development and the region’s workforce.
|Special Instructions to Applicants||Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled; however, to ensure full consideration, complete application materials should be received by August 15, 2018.
To apply for this position, complete CCRI’s online application, and attach a cover letter and resume. You do not need to complete the ‘Education History’ or ‘Employment History’ sections within the application if you are attaching a resume that includes the same information. Reference letters may be requested if you become a finalist. Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts.
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Human Resources at 401-825-2311. TTY: 401-825-2313.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master’s degree, or higher, in English, Reading, ESL, adult education, or closely related field?
- * Please list your degree(s) earned:(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience teaching developmental reading and writing courses and ESL grammar, writing and speech courses?
- * Do you have experience teaching developmental reading and writing courses and ESL grammar, writing and speech courses at a community college?
- * To improve CCRI’s advertising strategy, please let us know where you FIRST learned of this job opportunity? Please be specific when using web site or publication names (example: LinkedIn, HigherEdjobs, Chronicle, personal referral, etc.). Thank you.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Unofficial Transcripts