Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Title||Chief Accountant, Bookstore|
|Position Category||Staff – NonClassified|
|Job Summary||The Community College of Rhode Island is the state’s only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs.
We meet the wide-ranging educational needs of our diverse student population, building on our rich tradition of excellence in teaching and our dedication to all students with the ability and motivation to succeed. We set high academic standards necessary for transfer and career success, champion diversity, respond to community needs, and contribute to our state’s economic development and the region’s workforce.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the accurate financial accounting and related processes of the Bookstores and all related financial functions including the MBS and banner systems at the Community College of Rhode Island. Prepare various financial reports for the College, the Board of Education, internal and external auditors, and others both internal and external to the College. Participate in the development, implementation and documentation of financial policies, systems, procedures and controls within the Bookstore. Primary responsibility for the year-end financial audit in coordination with CCRI’s controller’s office.
|Duties and Responsibilities||• Perform and/or supervise all the daily, monthly and annual accounting activity of the bookstores ensuring timely update and accuracy of both the MBS and banner systems. Coordinate bank reconciliations with controller’s staff.
• Plan, coordinate, and prepare year-end physical inventory counts, monthly financial statements, balance sheet reconciliations, and schedules for year-end audit & coordinate with Controller.
• Assist management in the analysis of cash flows, sales trends, book to physical inventory variances, and profit margins by retail class on a semester basis
• Ensure the accuracy of all data that is input into and extracted from the Financial Records/Accounts Payable/Student Financial Aid feeds/Retail Merchandise/Sales systems (Banner Finance, Banner Student, MBS POS, MBS Merchandising, and MBSText Aide).
• Coordinate the trouble shooting and repair of all hardware and software problems such as cloud applications, modem support, power outages, website/credit card issues with MBS help desk as well as with the credit card and banking firms.
• Coordinate testing and outcomes in Banner system financial and student systems in concert with MBS reporting and file transfers as needed.
• Coordinate the accurate load of Pell student awards each semester in concert with MBS and the college’s financial aid office
• Participate on the Banner Financial and Student Teams as required.
• Develop, implement, and oversee internal controls and procedures to protect all assets including cash and inventory.
• In conjunction with the director, analyze cost accounting data and reconcile with cycle counts, physical inventories and inventory values
• In conjunction with the director, analyze inventory and margin reports, conduct research and perform analysis with regard to cost and profitability
• Coordinate monthly cash reconciliations with accounting personnel and communicate cash variances with director and bookstore staff; process to be done daily during school rush.
• Ensure the proper functioning of the purchasing, receiving, and accounts payable system for the bookstores.
• Oversee the proper functioning of the bookstore accounts receivable billing cycle, including establishing student accounts, credit limits and charge restrictions as well as compiling invoices and monitoring accounts receivables aging and collection practices.
• Find equitable solutions for students having problems purchasing, paying, returning, or selling back books. Assist in customer service such as students receiving scholarship aid, process department charges and other customer service as needed.
• Place and remove flags on student accounts for NSF’s or financial aid short payments.
• Prepare monthly sales tax returns, collect W-9 information, prepare 1099 information, and aide in any tax compliance issues related to the bookstores.
• Keep operational manual current as applicable to all financial matters within the store.
• Monitor other campuses for consistent financial practices; travel and audit as needed.
• Be available for hours needed for semester rush, year-end inventory, buy-back, etc.
• Supervise and monitor the performance of personnel assigned, train & assign work as needed.
• Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and mission of a comprehensive community college.
• Work collaboratively in a diverse, inclusive and student-centered environment, and with students of various learning styles, cultures, identities, and life-experiences.
|Minimum Qualifications||• A Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting required.
• A minimum of five years’ accounting experience working for an organization with a complex, integrated, automated financial management information system required.
• Proven ability to prepare and adjust trial balances and complex financial and audit statements required.
• Demonstrated financial reporting experience gained through working in a public accounting firm, retail environment, or a non-profit company required.
• Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel required.
• Must possess strong interpersonal and customer service skills as well as be able to communicate effectively both orally and in written form.
• Must be able to work independently and have strong organizational and analytical skills.
• Must be able to work accurately and efficiently in a deadline and detailed-oriented environment and be available to work long hours during semester rushes, buy-backs and year-end.
|Preferred Qualifications||• Higher education experience preferred.
• Familiarity with FASB/GASB and cost accounting principles preferred.
• Significant accounting experience in a high sales volume retail environment preferred.
• Minimum of three years’ experience in supervising full time staff preferred.
|Reports To||Director of Bookstore Operations|
|Campus Location||Primarily located at the Warwick Campus|
|Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information||Non-Standard; 35 hours per week|
|Name of Bargaining Unit Union||CCRIPSA|
|Pay Grade||PSA 13|
|Salary Range||Range begins at $52,083|
|Additional Salary Information||Hiring salary range commensurate with education and experience|
|Civil Service List position||No|
|Licenses, Tools and Equipment||• Personal computers, cash registers, pin-pads, servers, MBS system, college’s administrative systems and software, calculators, and telephone.
• Must have access to and use of own transportation.
|Environmental Conditions||This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.|
|Desired Start Date|
|Position End Date (if temporary or grant)|
Posting Detail Information
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Application Open Date||01/10/2018|
|Application Close Date (includes the grace period)||01/31/2018|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||The closing date to apply for this position is 1/31/18. This date includes a five-day grace period. Application materials will not be accepted after 11:59pm EST on 1/31/18.
To apply for this position, complete CCRI’s online application, and attach a cover letter and resume by the closing date. You do not need to complete the ‘Education History’ or ‘Employment History’ sections within the application if you are attaching a resume that includes the same information. Please include contact information of three references within the application. Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts.
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Human Resources at 401-825-2311.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree, or higher, in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting?
- * Do you have a minimum of five years’ accounting experience working for an organization with a complex, integrated, automated financial management information system?
- * Are you able to prepare and adjust trial balances and complex financial and audit statements?
- * Do you have experience in a higher education setting?
- * Do you have demonstrated financial reporting experience gained through working in a public accounting firm, retail environment, or a non-profit company?
- * Are you familiar with FASB/GASB and cost accounting principles?
- * Do you have significant accounting experience in a high sales volume retail environment?
- * Do you have a minimum of three years’ experience in supervising full time staff?
- * Do you have advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Excel?
- * Where did you first learn of this job opportunity? (CCRI Web Site, Other Web Site, Advertisement/Publication, Agency Referral, Personal Referral, Other). Please be specific when using web site or publication names.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document