Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Title||Bookstore Manager|
|Position Category||Staff – NonClassified|
|Job Summary||The Community College of Rhode Island is the state’s only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs.
We meet the wide-ranging educational needs of our diverse student population, building on our rich tradition of excellence in teaching and our dedication to all students with the ability and motivation to succeed. We set high academic standards necessary for transfer and career success, champion diversity, respond to community needs, and contribute to our state’s economic development and the region’s workforce.
|Duties and Responsibilities||• Direct and supervise Bookstore staff in the performance of all day-to-day operations.
• Hire and train permanent, temporary and student employees as needed in all phases of operation of the Bookstore. Evaluate and remediate performance of staff as needed.
• For important Bookstore events such as semester rush and buy-backs, coordinate operational aspects which include staff scheduling, increasing cash on hand, adjusting the store’s physical layout and equipment, and ensuring that textbooks and merchandise are appropriately available.
• Supervise sales floor and cashiering functions and provide customer service.
• Complete or supervise all store opening and closing procedures on a daily basis; effect the daily closeout process of cash registers and prepare bank deposits in conformance with college’s fiscal policies and procedures.
• Implement policies and procedures as directed by the Bookstore Director/Assistant Director and assist in developing new policies and procedures.
• As directed by the Bookstore Director, responsible for all activities related to the merchandising and display of school supplies, clothing, candy etc. This includes meeting with vendors, establishing quantities to be ordered, generating purchase orders on the MBS merchandise software, receiving the goods through MBS, and evaluating price mark-ups and markdowns.
• Direct the receiving and stocking or preparing of all incoming and outgoing shipments.
• Prepare administrative and operational reports as required.
• Be competent in all aspects of the MBS point-of-sale system and the related equipment including cash registers and personal computer and printer applications.
• Supervise special bookstore charges, such as financial aid awards or other third party sponsored reimbursements.
• Assist in the management of the bookstore activities as they relate to CCRI off-campus bookstore locations.
• Maintain store appearance and cleanliness ensuring a welcome and service oriented environment.
• Supervise the taking of physical inventories on a spot basis, monthly basis and annual basis
• Perform cash register duties as required.
• May be asked to work at other bookstore locations at CCRI campuses and satellites.
• Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy and mission of a comprehensive community college.
• Work collaboratively in a diverse, inclusive and student-centered environment, and with students of various learning styles, cultures, identities, and life-experiences.
• Other related duties as required.
|Minimum Qualifications||• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Significant experience using a system comparable to the MBS Textaid/General Merchandise programs required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills essential.
• Good organizational skills and ability to work well with the public essential.
• Must be able to work independently.
• Must be able to coordinate well with the Bookstore accounting office and Textbook Managers
|Preferred Qualifications||• At least three years of retail experience including personnel supervision, fundamental accounting, purchasing and inventory control, and overall experience in a point of sale system required, college store experience preferred.|
|Reports To||Director-Bookstore Operations/Assistant Bookstore Director|
|Campus Location||All Campuses – Initially the Warwick Campus|
|Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information||Non-Standard; 35 hours per week|
|Name of Bargaining Unit Union||CCRIPSA|
|Pay Grade||PSA 10|
|Salary Range||Range begins at $41,463|
|Additional Salary Information||Salary commensurate with education and experience|
|Civil Service List position||No|
|Licenses, Tools and Equipment||• Ability to use MBS system applications on personal computer and cash register and to interface with student systems on the college’s administrative computer system as related to Bookstore operations. Equipment used includes: MBS system, computer, pin pads, printers, telephone, calculator, fax machine, copy machine, scissors, and knife.
• Must have access to and use of own transportation.
|Environmental Conditions||• This position is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds, carry, shelve, bend and stretch in the performance of bookstore operations.
|Desired Start Date|
|Position End Date (if temporary or grant)|
Posting Detail Information
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Application Open Date||01/10/2018|
|Application Close Date (includes the grace period)||01/31/2018|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||The closing date to apply for this position is 1/31/2018. This date includes a five-day grace period. Application materials will not be accepted after 11:59pm EST on 1/31/2018.
To apply for this position, complete CCRI’s online application, and attach a cover letter and resume by the closing date. You do not need to complete the ‘Education History’ or ‘Employment History’ sections within the application if you are attaching a resume that includes the same information. Please include contact information of three references within the application. Finalists will be required to provide official college transcripts.
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Human Resources at 401-825-2311.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor’s degree or higher?
- * Do you have at least three years of retail experience including personnel supervision, fundamental accounting, purchasing and inventory control, and overall experience in a point of sale system required, college store experience?
- * Do you have significant experience using a system comparable to the MBS Textaid/General Merchandise programs?
- * Where did you first learn of this job opportunity? (web site, advertisement/publication, agency referral, personal referral, other). Please be specific when using web site or publication names.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document