Rescue Plan Communications Manager for the City of Providence
Job Type: Non-Union
Job Posting: COP-00193-21
Salary: $72,095.64 – $77,269
Department: Mayor’s Office
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus prior to February 28, 2022. “Fully vaccinated status” shall be defined as having received the full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of vaccination completion will be required prior to beginning employment with the City.
This position works with the City’s COVID-19 Rescue Plan Office on all communications and messaging campaigns for many various initiatives and projects, and to ensuring that Rescue Plan programs, initiatives and public space activation opportunities are being communicated to the general public in a clear, concise and timely manner.
The successful candidate will demonstrate editorial and visual sensibility, the ability to meet tight deadlines, and an understanding of how to effectively communicate public information through earned media, social media, and visual supplements; and must be able to develop new skills on the job.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and executes communication and outreach plans based on approved Providence Rescue Plan funded programs and initiatives.
- Serve as spokesperson for the COVID-19 Rescue Plan Office with all City departments, maintaining points of contacts and relationships for Communications purposes.
- Maintains and manages social media pages, websites, presentations and newsletters in collaboration with the City’s Communications Department.
- Coordinates community outreach opportunities with the Community Relations Department to ensure the City conveys a consistent and coordinated message.
- Assists with cross promotion of citywide initiatives and campaigns.
- Works with the City’s Director of Communications as well as the Rescue Plan Specialist to ensure growth opportunities and goals are being met and to heighten community awareness regarding new and existing initiatives and programs.
- Leads all Rescue Plan communications projects and campaigns to include developing content, writing and editing internal and external communications, working with the Communications Department to pitch stories or place advertising; proofing marketing collateral, completing monthly outreach conducting research as needed for marketing projects, and all other duties as assigned.
- Attends regular coordination meetings with the Mayor’s Communications Department.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in marketing, communications, English, comparative literature, or a closely related field of study; or a minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in public relations, marketing, advertising, media relations or communications; or a combination of substantially equivalent education and experience.
- Demonstrated writing and communications skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Social Media Platforms (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram specifically), iContact and/or WordPress, Adobe InDesign and Illustrator, or similar informational platforms
- Ability to work on a very flexible schedule which may include nights or weekend events.
- Must have ability to successfully work independently as well as in a team environment
- Strong leadership, decision making, organizational, communication, and presentation skills
- Proven ability to identify key issues and resolve those issues in an efficient and timely manner
- Demonstrated history of taking initiative in managing complex projects and working effectively under pressure
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the job.
Posting expires when position is filled.