Technical Staff Assistant
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Title||Technical Staff Assistant|
|Department||Allied Health Programs|
|Position Category||Staff – Classified|
|Job Summary||GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: To perform a variety of duties in an academic science laboratory, skills laboratory and/or studio to assist and support both teaching faculty and students with various projects and/or assignments; to operate and maintain related equipment; and to do related work as required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the general supervision of a superior with latitude for the exercise of independent judgement; work is reviewed for accuracy and conformance to instructions.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Usually none, but may supervise the work of student help assigned to assist.
|Duties and Responsibilities||-To perform a variety of duties in an academic science laboratory, skills laboratory and/or studio to assist in teaching faculty with the development of new experiments and special programs for the laboratory.
-To perform a variety of duties in an academic science laboratory, skills laboratory and/or studio to assist students in the use of laboratory equipment, instructing students in proper laboratory techniques and resolving unanticipated problems of students with laboratory equipment.
-To assist with the detection of student learning and/or adjustment problems.
-To set up and take down all materials and equipment before and after scheduled laboratories; to assist with classroom demonstrations.
-To operate and make necessary repairs to all equipment in the laboratory in a safe manner and according to established regulations.
-To assist in the grading of non-subjective examinations.
-To maintain all schedules of laboratory use; to keep and maintain inventories of equipment, purchases, use and repairs.
-To do related work as required.
A more specific description of the duties for this position at CCRI include:
• Assist the MLT Faculty in the operation of a training lab that simulates a clinical laboratory.
• Perform a variety of duties in an academic science laboratory and assist students in the use of diagnostic laboratory equipment, instruct students in proper laboratory technique and resolve unanticipated problems of students with equipment and usage.
• Set up and take down all materials and equipment before and after scheduled laboratory sessions.
• Receive, house, maintain and dispose of all living and preserved biological materials.
• Assist faculty with laboratory demonstrations of diagnostic methodologies.
• Assist faculty with supervision and assessment of students in the lab.
• Properly prepare and sterilize microbiological media for student use.
• Maintain all diagnostic laboratory equipment, including troubleshooting, preventative maintenance and preparation for storage during the semester breaks.
• Utilize the Banner system for ordering and purchasing of laboratory equipment and materials.
• Operate laboratory software and hardware.
• Maintain a hazardous chemical inventory.
• Operate and maintain water purification system, autoclave for sterilization and incubators for bacterial cultures.
• Procure patient specimens from local clinical affiliates for student use and testing.
• Maintain and coordinate laboratory schedules, quality control processes and safety equipment.
|Minimum Qualifications||KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS AND CAPACITIES: A working knowledge of relevant laboratory equipment and supplies and the ability to assist faculty and students in the performance of duties in the laboratory/studio; the ability to interact well with both faculty and students; the ability to keep records and prepare necessary reports; and related capacities and abilities.
Education: Such as may have been gained through: possession of an Associate’s Degree or completion of a recognized certificate program in a relevant field; and
Experience: Such as may have been gained through: employment in a laboratory or studio as a staff assistant performing paraprofessional duties.
Or, any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
|Reports To||AHPG Department Chair|
|Campus Location||All Campuses – Initially the Lincoln Campus|
|Shift, Days, and Additional Work Schedule Information||Primarily Monday – Friday, 8am – 4pm; Hours and campus may vary, based on departmental needs.|
|Name of Bargaining Unit Union||ESPA|
|Pay Grade||320 A|
|Salary Range||$40,895 – $45,747|
|Additional Salary Information|
|Civil Service List position||No|
|Licenses, Tools and Equipment|
|Desired Start Date||asap|
|Position End Date (if temporary or grant)|
Posting Detail Information
|Number of Vacancies||1|
|Application Open Date||03/06/2018|
|Application Close Date (includes the grace period)||03/15/2018|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Comments||THIS IS AN ACADEMIC YEAR POSITION (20 Pay Periods). Current AY ends 06/02/18. Next AY begins 08/26/18.|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||SUBJECT TO CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION & IS AN ACADEMIC YEAR POSITION (see comment section).
The closing date to apply for this position is 03/15/2018. This date includes a three-day grace period. Application materials will not be accepted after 11:59pm EST on 03/15/2018.
To apply for this position, complete CCRI’s online application by the closing date.
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact Human Resources at 401-825-2311. TTY: 401-825-2313.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * To improve CCRI’s advertising strategy, please let us know where you FIRST learned of this job opportunity? Please be specific when using web site or publication names (example: LinkedIn, HigherEdjobs, Chronicle, personal referral, etc.). Thank you.(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document