The R.I. Violent Fugitive Task Force Announces the Arrest of David Staveley in Alpharetta, Georgia




PROVIDENCE – David Staveley, a fugitive who faked his own death to avoid prosecution in the District of Rhode Island, was arrested on July 23, 2020, by the U.S. Marshals Service in Georgia.


On May 5, as the result of an investigation by the FBI and IRS, Staveley and another individual were charged in the District of Rhode Island with allegedly filing bank loan applications fraudulently seeking more than a half-million dollars in forgivable loans guaranteed by the Small Business Administration under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.  Staveley was subsequently released on $10,000 unsecured bond with GPS monitoring.


On May 26, 2020, the U.S. Probation Office in Rhode Island received an alert that Staveley’s GPS monitor had been removed.  An arrest warrant was issued, and the U.S. Marshals Service in Rhode Island immediately initiated a fugitive investigation.


In June 2020, Staveley’s vehicle was recovered near a beach in Quincy, MA.  The vehicle was unlocked with the key in the ignition.  Staveley’s wallet with credit cards and his Massachusetts Driver’s License were located in the vehicle as well as a typed and signed suicide note.  Massachusetts State Police detectives investigated the scene and dispatched a search and rescue boat to attempt to locate Staveley’s body.  No evidence was found that indicated he committed suicide, and U.S. Marshals concluded that he faked his death and fled the area to avoid prosecution.


U.S. Marshals in Rhode Island subsequently developed information that Staveley was alive and had traveled to Tennessee.  Further investigation revealed he was staying in the Alpharetta, Georgia area under a false identity and driving a minivan with stolen license plates.


On July 23, 2020, U.S. Marshals in Georgia working with the Alpharetta, GA Police Department located Staveley in a minivan with California license plates, and he was immediately taken into custody.  At the time of arrest, he was in possession of multiple forms of identifications and ID badges bearing different names.  Staveley was transported to Atlanta, GA Federal District Court for processing.


The U.S. Attorney’s Office and FBI in Rhode Island as well as the U.S. Marshals Service in Tennessee and Georgia provided valuable assistance throughout the investigation


The Rhode Island Violent Fugitive Task Force is run by the U.S Marshals Service with the Rhode Island State Police.  The Task Force is made up of members from the U.S. Marshals Service, the Rhode Island State Police, and the Warwick, Cranston, Coventry, East Providence, Middletown, Pawtucket, Portsmouth, and Providence Police Departments who work full time to track down and apprehend the most violent and dangerous fugitives both within the United States and internationally.